First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

Grittty not pretty build

(1/11) > >>

wrk2ride_ride2wrk:
I'll post up here as dawdle along  with this project. Already had some good advice here. I havent found so many FT's going my way, so any inputs good  ;)
Pretty pleased I chose the FT500.  Wanted the touque & frame, and the age...and the cost. 60% cheaper than an XL500s / XR600r here.

Touque: needed something that was going get me into the mountains at a good rate on the slab, haul arse up dirt / fire roads  camping and hunting down ghost towns & ruins... The age, I needed a 30yr plus bike to get me into a local Vintage MX / dirt track / beach race  thingy we have throughout the yr... my old girl has deserves a better life and she'll be rebuilt for my yongest son.
( picture here ... young kid pumped & pestering for his first bike lol )

I found the bike had been sitting for quite a few yrs & had a few parts spirited away (starter pinion & clutch bits ) cracked fork brace, busted fork valve, nothing major.
Picked up a FT400 motor cheap enough to fill in the blanks, new piston and rings, everything else looked pretty good, blasted & paint, started up well enough & confirmed  a low milage motor  :o

Now at point where I'll register it, here it must be done in complete original form or it wont pass. From there I'll start to fool around ( measure twice, cut once ) with changes I'd like to make. As the Subject says.. this is how I expect it to turn out.. no disrespect to the purists  ;)

thumperdh:
Subscribed, this one looks interesting. Keep us posted.

J6G1Z:
Sounds like an interesting build. I'm not a big fan of taking Ascots off-road, but that's because they make such a good handling canyon carver with sticky street tires on them. I suppose with some real shocks on the back & some fork work they would do all right off-road, just a bit on the heavy side. When you get going on modifying the bike, make sure you check out the Ascot Essentials: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0  and perform the jetting & countershaft swap. I use a 16 tooth & I'm quite pleased with the results.

Good luck with your build & please post up plenty of pictures.
J.

Lefty:
Welcome brother! You mentioned an FT400 parts donor, I never knew or heard of a 400cc FT?

Lefty:
New Zealand! Here's  a stock shot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version