Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Modified To Full Customs

VT500 Resto-Mod-Tribute

<< < (2/7) > >>

J6G1Z:
Carry on then. My VT Ascot just turned 20K miles & the finish is bad. This bike has been ridden & parked in the rain for a few years in its past. It has spots of rust just like you mentioned. Have you seen the Elsinore inspired Ascot? I'm thinking of painting mine some day to look like this bike: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=233.0
Instead of red down the tank, etc. I was thinking of using British racing green like the very first Elsy's had.

Good luck on the bike
J.

Luke:
BR Green would look amazing...
Do you think that those are conduit nuts at the top of the rear shock?
I have used them on my jeep (IFS) to level the suspension. If in fact they are ..... do you think he added those to change the spring rate?

Bucko:

--- Quote from: Luke on September 03, 2014, 02:30:02 pm ---... At one point my little buddy decided to put an AGM in that was too big... don't worry just shove! It took an afternoon just to get the cage bent back to it's original shape :)
--- End quote ---

Not that weird: I've been trying to do the same thing myself.  There are couple of reasons why (for me) it's a good idea.  First is that there are more AGM options for the next common size battery up which make the price a little better and provides a lot more cranking and stand by power.  Second, and this one really applies to me: the next size up is exactly the same battery as my 900F and 1100F take which means I have some back up options if one of my batteries dies (the only catch is the terminals are reversed on the Ascot but that's easily resolved with a new + power strap.

If the rubber cushions are removed from the batter box, the next size battery fits in with only a slight manhandling required to get the front metal strap closed and bolted back into place (no wrecking of the box required).  Since I use AGM batteries, vibration (which I think the rubber pads are there to reduce) really isn't an issue but I'd love to find a way to add a 1/4" to the depth of the front strap so that I could leave the cushions in place and make it easier to remove, but that's a project for another time.

Luke:
I can appreciate the benefits of the AGM ... a little more finesse was in order however ;)

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Luke on September 03, 2014, 03:04:20 pm --- Do you think that those are conduit nuts at the top of the rear shock?
--- End quote ---

I don't think I'm not familiar with conduit nuts. It appears to me that those shocks have adjustable spring pre-load by turning that spanner nut.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version