The Ascot 500 Forum > Welcome

Hi ! VT500 all over the world !

(1/6) > >>

Dibingo:
Hi every body !

I came from France. I'm the webmaster of www.v2-honda.com.

I was looking for new ideas to improve my VT500 and I saw your modification about the airbox.
This idea come to my mind too.

You know in France, my VT500 is not an Ascott but a VT500E.
It's the same bike but his look seems different.

In my life, 7 motors and 5 VT500.
The newest is this : (I have to restore it)

My hobbies is improving V2 motors.

My best result was on it :

128 mph on GPS, at 9200 tr/min.
Stock airbox but with à homemade filter. (burning the paper and roll Hotte filter from kitchen on)
Stock needles, main jet to 2x125, same short springs, and no other things !

But ! I planed cylinders and polish outs exhausts.
My finals pipes are percing by a long mesh to through the chicanes.

I've got an Deauville 650 too, but the modifications are more difficult to do.

I hope new friends here, and hope see you one day in holidays ?

Note : sorry for my bad language !

J6G1Z:
Greetings from the USA.

Don't worry about your English speaking skills. You are doing better than most of the current high school graduates.

I'm very interested in your previous performance improvements. I am in the process of jetting my bike correctly. I purchased a DynoJet kit, but between my dual Super-Trapp exhaust & my modified airbox, I'm having trouble dialing in the jetting. The bike starts easily & revs cleanly to about 5.5K to 6K RPM, then it falls on its face after 6K. The kit contains 2 lighter springs, 2 drill bits, 2 needles & 2 sets of main jets. I started with the larger jets, but that wasn't enough. Then they sent me 2 sizes larger & allthough that was an improvement, it wasn't enough. I just got off the Tech Line yesterday & some even larger jets are on the way. Unfortunately the DynoJet main jets use a proprietory numbering or identification system that does not correspond with either the Mikuni or Keihin main jet identification. I'm running an '85-'86 Shadow air cleaner from UNI. It has much more surface area than the Ascot filter. As an experiment, I wrapped about half of the filter with masking tape & rode the bike around the block. That much restriction brought the jetting in line & the bike operated fairly well. That led me to believe that I'm running lean.

Have you ever experimented with performance camshafts and/or cylinder head porting?

J.

Dibingo:

--- Quote ---Greetings from the USA.
Don't worry about your English speaking skills. You are doing better than most of the current high school graduates.
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  ;)

From my expérience, Dynojet is a commercial joke. All and nothing in their kit.

You seems to have trouble to go at the top of the rev-counter.
If growing the main jets don't take effect, perhaps you've got a breakdown ? like a problem in the ignition Box or wiring ignition ?

I think you've got to return at stock version to start again since the origin.

About your airbox, I'm not sure that remove and cut off the rubber intake snorkle is a good thing.
It helps the Venturi's working.

In my case, I take all the times, main jets from Keihin as ref : KEC. (2 x 125 for me, the others are on 38)

Needles are stock, lighter springs and the second hole of the leaky bushel.
Nothing else about carburation.

--- Quote ---Have you ever experimented with performance camshafts and/or cylinder head porting?
--- End quote ---

Cylinder head porting ? what's this ?

About camshaft, there's no corresponding with others V2 Honda. (in this forum, i've saw possibility with Transalp or NTV. It's wrong.)
The camshafts of the VT500 have no sisters !

They're sharp enough, nothing to improve there. Valves are too small in any case !
On my last VT5, I can through the red zone, but the valves are playing salsa. (And must be more often adjusted.)

On the other hand, this engine V2 Honda likes being more compressed. ( planed cylinders)

Sorry, of all V2 Honda, the VT500 is already the most successful.
To want to go much farther, we risk the breakage.
( I paid the price for it)

The problem of the cooling and the size of valves raises.
It is inescapable.

The first transalp have the same problems.
Production of the VT500 stopped, and the following models have improvements after the first Transalp. (biggest valves, cooling improvement)
But their breech carries less sharp camshafts and restricted exhaust valves in the conduit.

scottly:
Regarding Dynojet, I have found their documentation for their dynos to be out of date and lacking in several areas. I have done dyno testing of an FT500 with a low restriction filter and posted my results in the FT tech section.

Dibingo:
We are in the discussion there?  ;D
Hello Scottly !  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version