First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

Rounded off bolt on carburetor boot

<< < (2/2)

Lefty:
If you buy a dremel, and I believe EVERYONE should own one, how's about getting a cut off wheel for it & cut a slot in the head. Then take a 1/4 flat head screwdriver fitting( or a stubby flat head with a square shaft) & clamp it with some small vise grips & turn left a bit first, like J6 mentioned, then turn it right. PBblaster is your friend, and if you don't have any, go get a can. This stuff works great.
 If all else fails & you have to destroy the intake, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Intakes do pop up on Ebay & there may be one on there right now.

thumperdh:

--- Quote from: Lefty on July 20, 2014, 06:42:00 pm ---If you buy a dremel, and I believe EVERYONE should own one, how's about getting a cut off wheel for it & cut a slot in the head. Then take a 1/4 flat head screwdriver fitting( or a stubby flat head with a square shaft) & clamp it with some small vise grips & turn left a bit first, like J6 mentioned, then turn it right. PBblaster is your friend, and if you don't have any, go get a can. This stuff works great.
 If all else fails & you have to destroy the intake, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Intakes do pop up on Ebay & there may be one on there right now.

--- End quote ---

I'm with lefty on this one. The only other thing i can contribute is TAKE YOUR TIME.

Also more PB blaster!  :D

scottly:
There isn't much clearance between the bottom bolt head and the boot. I would still try a 6 point box end wrench, but you will need a very thin wrench, like in the attached pic. These were sold as "ignition wrenches", and were used on things like the nuts attaching the wire to ignition points. You could also grind down a regular box end wrench until it's thin enough to squeeze past the boot.

Lefty:
Whatever it takes, right? if you have access to a bench grinder,  go to it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version