First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Custom shifter

(1/2) > >>

Lefty:
This is in response to J6s comment about how good my FT looks(in a photo, ahaha!)-when I first got the bike, it had a really long shifter on it, I was unaware of the original set up. I had to shift with my heel on the left peg! It didn't take long to realize the tab on the frame was broken off, so I cut the shifter(I had to cut it a second time, 1st time it was still too long)& had a friend weld it together.
A little black paint & a dental floss stitch job on the split rubber and Viola!
I'm still wondering how it got broken off?

J6G1Z:
Wow! That looks funky. How is it to shift now?

Do you know what the original shifter & linkage looks like? It looks to me like you lost a lot of leverage in your shifter.

J.

Lefty:
It shifts fine, I don't know how the link type shifter feels so I have nothing to compare it to.
 It had to have been dropped on something to break the frame tab like that.

Lefty:
Or maybe it was hacked off, but why?

J6G1Z:
Most likely it was dropped on something that contacted the shifter boss that is attached to that bracket & then bent or broke that tab off. That frame tab is not a very thick piece of steel, although it is in a position that you would normally think looks well protected by the frame tubing.

I would watch eBay for a new shifter & linkage, then fab a new tab to have welded back in place. Or... leave it the way it is if it works for you.

Good luck
J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version