First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

New exhaust for the FT

(1/6) > >>

Lefty:
Here's a couple of shots of the test fitting.
I'm using the hanger from the OE muffler, but am going to have to modify it a little.
Let's see if these load...

J6G1Z:
Looks nice!  8)

That sure looks like a clean bike you have there. Are you just going to run a strap from the passenger peg down to the muffler? That's what I ended up doing. It works real well & looks good.

J.

thumperdh:
Run a strap, for the love of god run some sort of hanger.

Also, I love it, I kinda regret buying the 4-stroke universal Supertrapp and not saving up for the one you got.

Lefty:
I thought about using a strap, but I am set on a welded hanger on the back side- the one from the original will work, I just need to stretch it a little.
J6- the bike looks better in a photo, at first glance in person it looks pretty good, but as you get closer you notice a lot of flaws/rash/rust.
The lock was broken off the tank, the PO spilled brake fuid all over the frame & both calipers, the speedo has road rash where it was droppe.
I just replaced the handle bars, which were tweaked & rust. All and all it's a solid bike, but far from cherry.

J6G1Z:
Still looks like a very solid foundation to build a great bike out of.

Too bad about the sloppy handling of the brake fluid. That stuff does not mess around. I bought some aluminum parts that someone had spray painted black. I submerged them in a bucket of mineral spirits for a few days to remove the paint. After about half a week I could tell that something else needed to be done as the mineral spirits wasn't lifting the paint that well. I had half a bottle of brake fluid that had been laying around, so I added that to the bucket. The next day almost all the paint had lifted. After about an hour or so with a parts brush the parts were all clean.

Keep up the good work & please post up more pics of your bike & the modifications.

J.

PS. Here are a couple of pics that show the simple muffler support strap that I'm using.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version