First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

Dutch FT project

<< < (37/38) > >>

FT500R:
Got some stuff in the mail today.
Better rockers and camshaft, will install these instead of my more worn original ones.

Some other parts to try and solve the footpeg problem.
XR500R brake pedal, tried to see what I could do with this but conclusion is this will never fit. The way it is bend is not working and the actuation of the brake is also completely different.
XR500S Footpeg and brake pedal.
Tried to fit the XL500S parts but it will be very hard to use them.
I might be able to use the footpeg holder but that would move the footpeg quite a lot forward and down, even further reducing the ground clearance and I don't have a solution for the brake pedal yet.

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: kansloos161 on May 31, 2020, 02:44:40 am ---As expected the kickstart does hit some of the standard FT parts.
--- End quote ---

Here are some pics of a tubular kicker that was fabricated for an RD project. Might provide some ideas.

J6G1Z:
Couple more.

FT500R:
Ooooohhhh YEaaahhh.
It took a total of 4 kicks and there she roars!!!

https://youtu.be/WffnD3540Wo

Really happy that she starts so easily.
There is a slight tapping sound from the cilinder head so will have to check the valve clearance apart from that she seems to run very smooth!
Still need to figure out the footpeg situation but at least the bike starts again.
The new stator works like a charm, really have a very nice and strong spark.
Funny to be able to start the bike without a battery in it.

J6G1Z:
I once owned an XR400 & a XR600. They both had a small compression release lever on the handlebars. This was my starting procedure. I would slowly move the kicker through its range of motion until the engine began the compression stroke. I would use the compression release to allow me to rotate the engine to just past peak compression. Then I would kick it. Be careful with those tennis shoes. If the engine kicks back you might end up limping for a few days. Glad to see that it works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version