Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

VT500FT Ascot Gear Change & Performance...

(1/4) > >>

cdntfindanAscot:

--- Quote from: Trinorman on August 20, 2013, 05:32:05 pm ---J,

I got interested in the Ascot about a dozen years ago when my wife learned to ride by taking the MSF course.  They supplied motorcycles during training, but we needed to get her a bike of her own to ride after training.  I found a used Ascot, but she thought it was too heavy for her.  So I rode it a little and it just made a good impression on me.  It was pretty lively for a 500, handled OK, 6th gear was a plus, and I liked the shaft drive.  We sold it pretty quickly though and bought her a Honda 250 Nighthawk that suited her better.  But the impression stayed with me and I felt it would be a good, but unusual, platform to build an old style cafe bike.  So, some years later, looking for a project bike, I bought a used Ascot for a song and went from there.

It's fun to ride and always get a lot of comments from all types of riders no matter what their particular ride might be.  When I bought the bike it had a pair of mismatched brand tires on it, but almost new, so I rode those for awhile.  I finally installed new tires, Pirelli Sport Demons, and those tires transformed the handling.  Went from OK to pretty darn good.  Also, the fork tubes are moved up in the triple trees about 30mm to accommodate the clip-ons.  To partially compensate for that 30mm, the Hagon shocks are slightly shorter than stock, about 1/2" if memory serves.  The change to the forks/shocks quickened up the steering a bit so turn is faster.  It did not seem to affect high speed stability.  I also prefer the Shadow 500 rear end.  The bike is more relaxed.  I always felt the stocker was geared too low.  I used to start off in 2nd gear with stock gearing without having to slip the clutch.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Hi Chris
Could I ask which parts of the drive needs swapping out to change the gearing? is it just the rear 'hub', or hub and shaft , or complete drive? many thanks in advance
nev

J6G1Z:
Nev,

You might try sending him a PM. If that doesn't work, let me know & I'll see if I have an e-mail address for him.

I think that I would try to get the whole assembly from a donor bike. It is going to be a lot easier finding a Shadow drive vs. an Ascot drive, just due to the numbers of bikes built. Have you ridden the bike much with the higher gear ratio & determined that it just won't do for you?

Good luck
J.

cdntfindanAscot:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on April 22, 2014, 10:22:34 am ---Nev,

You might try sending him a PM. If that doesn't work, let me know & I'll see if I have an e-mail address for him.

I think that I would try to get the whole assembly from a donor bike. It is going to be a lot easier finding a Shadow drive vs. an Ascot drive, just due to the numbers of bikes built. Have you ridden the bike much with the higher gear ratio & determined that it just won't do for you?

Good luck
J.

--- End quote ---

I have emailed Mr Trinorman using the envelope icon under the username, and it wasnt bounced back so I guess that it will go through.

All my riding has been done with the 18" wheel so I have not experienced it with the 'correct' ratio yet. I will just keep an eye on ebay for another drive, probably be a 500E one as they are the most common in the UK. They came with 18s like the Ascot so hopefully the same. Most listings on ebay seem to be for just the hub section and range from 10 to 50 quid with plenty to choose from, so will just wait till theres one at the right price or in the right place.

At the moment my motor is on the bench with its top off. The slight smoking issue got a bit worse so I am treating it to some new rings and seals, so will need to sort that first, then I will swap out the drive.

J6G1Z:
Have you considered installing a pair of performance camshafts & doing some port-work?

Sounds like it would be a good time to do so.

J.

cdntfindanAscot:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on April 22, 2014, 01:07:06 pm ---Have you considered installing a pair of performance camshafts & doing some port-work?

Sounds like it would be a good time to do so.

J.

--- End quote ---

Nope, I'm far to cheap for that  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version