'Round The Campfire > General Technical

High Performance Camshafts & Head Porting...

<< < (2/5) > >>

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Dougie on April 27, 2014, 11:33:36 am ---One of the difficulties is getting above 600cc. In the USA it should be possible to fit a Transalp 600 engine in and fit the shaft drive output mechanism from the original engine in place of the chain drive.
650 head is quite different as the front exhaust port fouls the frame downtube.
--- End quote ---

I have often wondered if there were some engine swap candidates. The VT Ascot is not bad stock & is a fun, well balanced bike. I always want a bit more after a while though.

Any idea how much larger the exterior package of the Transalp 600cc engine is than the VT500 engine?

Thanks
J.

Dougie:
They look exactly the same even down to the air cooled look.

Cylinders could be a little bit taller as the stoke is longer.

AscotDog:

--- Quote from: J6G1Z on April 24, 2014, 12:35:21 pm ---I thought it was MegaCycle. but there current brochure no longer lists it. http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf

--- End quote ---

See page 32 bottom in the PDF catalog, can be found searching for "Ascot".... they are close to me, in fact I may be driving through San Rafael tomorrow... and I have the camshaft off my ascot (middle of a head gasket replacement)... haha, I wonder what one performance camshaft would do. I think I'd have to drop the engine to replace the other. Not sure... is it hard to remove the airbox, it seems to be in the way of removing the cylinder head cover...

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: AscotDog on May 13, 2014, 12:39:55 am ---
--- Quote from: J6G1Z on April 24, 2014, 12:35:21 pm ---I thought it was MegaCycle. but there current brochure no longer lists it. http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf

--- End quote ---

See page 32 bottom in the PDF catalog, can be found searching for "Ascot".... they are close to me, in fact I may be driving through San Rafael tomorrow... and I have the camshaft off my ascot (middle of a head gasket replacement)... haha, I wonder what one performance camshaft would do. I think I'd have to drop the engine to replace the other. Not sure... is it hard to remove the airbox, it seems to be in the way of removing the cylinder head cover... 
--- End quote ---

If you have a VT Ascot, you will need to replace both camshafts at the same time.

It is difficult to remove the air-box on a VT Ascot. You might have to drop out the swingarm & rear wheel, fender assembly to slide it out the back. I'm not sure if it will make it out one of the sides. The air-box has a crankcase vent oil seperator attached to the bottom of it. Plus the coolant recovery tank is located below the air-box. It is a very tight fit.

You probably need to drop the engine to remove the rear cylinder head. If you are replacing the front head gasket, isn't it a good idea to replace the rear also? The rear cylinder usually runs a bit hotter than the front cylinder does. I'm just wondering if the the front gasket failed, what are the chances that the rear gasket is bad also?

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Good luck
J.

Buddy:
The rear valve cover will come off with the air box in place. The snorkel must be removed. Not sure about the head. But the valve cover will get you access to the cam.

The air box will come out of the VT Ascot and Shadow without pulling the swing arm. Remove the rear fender and battery box first. Wiggle the air box around and twist the crankcase vent catch chamber 1/4 turn to get it off the bottom. Removing the wheel might get it out the rear but I haven't tried that. The box will come out the side. The right side I think. Getting it back in will be a challenge. I haven't tried that yet either. But it's coming.

Hope that helps.

Buddy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version