'Round The Campfire > General Technical

High Performance Camshafts & Head Porting...

<< < (4/5) > >>

Buddy:
Air box install update, they go back in real easy with the rear wheel and fender removed. Swing arm is not in the way at all.

I was once a member of that Cadillac forum. Like the Ascots, the big Cadillac engines don't get the appreciation they deserve. I once had a 500cid Caddy in a 91 Dodge Ramcharger. Plenty of power and 13 mpg. 

Buddy

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Buddy on June 20, 2014, 12:12:01 am ---Air box install update, they go back in real easy with the rear wheel and fender removed. Swing arm is not in the way at all.

I was once a member of that Cadillac forum. Like the Ascots, the big Cadillac engines don't get the appreciation they deserve. I once had a 500cid Caddy in a 91 Dodge Ramcharger. Plenty of power and 13 mpg. 

Buddy
--- End quote ---

I managed to re-install my airbox without removing the rear tire. I did have to move the inner fender back & up against the tire. I don't recall how I managed to finally get the box through the side, but it wasn't easy. My bike does not have the coolant recovery tank in the original location & I'm not running the oil seperater either as I placed a filtered breather on the rear cylinder vent port. It is all a very tight fit & removing the rear tire was next on my agenda if I couldn't get it from the side.

So you were a member of Caddy500.com? I started that board originally. It was an active forum at first, then there was a falling out & several members left. Now the Cadillac popularity seems to be on the waning side as more folks look to the LS series of engines for their projects. Please send me a PM with the details on your Ramcharger. I'd like to hear all about it. Do you have a build post somewhere?

Thanks
J.

PS. Back to the Ascot airbox. I remember that I had to remove the upper airbox mounting bracket towards the rear, to have enough room to wiggle that box in there.

Dibingo:

--- Quote from: Dougie on April 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm ---
They are in with the 650 Hawk and Transalp which suggests that they could be interchangeable.

HONDA NT-650 HAWK (1988—1991) 500 ASCOT twin (1983—1984) .......................... (1983—1991) .......... 33

--- End quote ---

Sorry, it's wrong !
It's not because it's not written, that it is suggested!  ;D

650 Hawk and Transalp 600 could be interchageable, but not with de VT500.
Cause of the gearing of the rev-counter.  ;)

J6G1Z:
According to the company's tech rep the camshafts work in the VT Ascot.

Now it's possible that you may lose the tach drive on some grinds. Allthough if you are sending in your original camshaft cores to be re-ground, you are pretty much guaranteed that you will still have the tach drive.

The question that I forgot to ask, is if there is a needle bearing option for the ends of the VT camshafts like the FT cams have.

J.

Dibingo:
 :-\
--- Quote ---According to the company's tech rep the camshafts work in the VT Ascot.
--- End quote ---

I have both camshafts (hawk and VT5), they are really different in their length.
It is just that the timing of valves is identical. (10/40/40/10)

At your home, there is a mystery!  ;D
Or then: they re-cut everything?  :P

--- Quote ---The question that I forgot to ask, is if there is a needle bearing option for the ends of the VT camshafts like the FT cams have.
--- End quote ---

I don't remember any more. I am going to take out again my parts, to see...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version