First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

ThumperDH's build thread

<< < (3/3)

J6G1Z:
How did you get those bar ends to fit with the OEM anti-vibration pieces that are inside the bars?

They look cool & give the bar ends a "finished" look. How does it feel to ride now? I'm real interested in a ride report with the new header pipe. I've been working on a project for the little woman & have been too busy with it, to get caught up with my bikes.

Looking good.
J.

PS. Some braided stainless steel brake lines would look real nice on that bike. Plus once you try the brakes with the braided lines, you'll never be pleased with rubber lines again.

thumperdh:
The anti vibrational devices that were in the bars were just plastic caps as far as I can tell. The new bar ends actually work pretty well, the bars are noticeably less shaky at speed and I'm also getting less mirror vibration.

As for the head pipe I think its great, sound is excellent, I've noticed a slight gain in power from about 2500rpm to 5500rpm, throttle response seems crisper as well.

Stainless brake lines are one of the next things I have to do on my list, I've had them on a few bikes before and I love them. I got my progressive springs in a few weeks ago but have yet to install them. I'm looking into a pair of Hagon rear shocks and some Racetech cartridge emulators for the front as well.

J, I'm really interested I'm what you think of that Rick's performance coil, let me know what you think when you get it put on.

And I'm still working on a new exhaust clamp, but that will be in a few weeks. I have a big ride coming up next week, Boca Raton to Orlando on back roads so I'll post up some pictures from that.

J6G1Z:
The bent OEM bars that I removed from the FT500 that I swapped the CBR parts onto, had some iron or steel slugs in the ends of the bars. They were almost as long as the straight part of the bars. I assumed that all the FT's had something shoved into the bar ends.

You're embarrasing me. :-[  I have so much bike work to do & report on. I'm in the process of building a greenhouse for the little woman of the house & it has been taking all of my time & spare $$$'s. That was the deal when I had my shed built. Shed first & then the greenhouse.

I'll get to it as soon as I can.
J.

thumperdh:
Well, nothing new to report here. The little ascot has just been hanging around lately. I put the stock 15t front sprocket back on it. Other than that I'm just waiting on parts right now. I put the progressive springs and 15w Bel Ray fork oil in and I'm about to order the Ricks Hotshot CDI.

Here's how its sitting now

J6G1Z:
Bike looks good! How do you like the way the forks handle now?

Did I ever get back to you on the CDI unit? I have one in both of my FT's. I left the RPM limiter set at the default setting. Each time that I installed one of the CDI units, I also did some other work, like change the pipe, etc. I don't have a stock vs Rick's CDI unit comparison. Both bikes run great & seem to have plenty of spark.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version