Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Modified To Full Customs

Off To The Races - the build begins

<< < (2/11) > >>

Kettle One:
I removed the lower exhaust pipe just to get an idea of what one pipe each side could look like. I borrowed a Ducati Supersport tank from a friend. It has a nice big hollow underneath and follows the line of the frame nicely but would need some mods to get it to fit down lower on the frame. It's also too wide at the front end so would interfere with the handlebars.

Kettle One:
Dropped the forks 3.5 inches in the trees and tried my Suzuki GT750 tank for size. Would be an easy fit but IMO does not look right for what I am after.

thumperdh:

--- Quote from: Kettle One on December 03, 2013, 02:29:52 pm ---Dropped the forks 3.5 inches in the trees and tried my Suzuki GT750 tank for size. Would be an easy fit but IMO does not look right for what I am after.

--- End quote ---

I love that GT tank on there. I have a GT in that exact same color.

J6G1Z:
I wonder how an early CBR/Hurricane tank might look? I think they're more slender at the top.

Looks like you have to decide if you want a Super-Bike type of look where the top of the tank is fairly flat & the back of the tank drops down like the first picture.

Or the more traditional CAFE or Tracker look where the tank is flat along the bottom & the line extends back to the seat/tail-piece section.

I think the second option would be easier, but it is also the most common. I'm surprised that you are finding tanks that have a large enough tunnel underneath to clear the backbone framework of the Ascot.

Of course the original Ascot tank has very clean & attractive lines to it, but that pretty much locks you in to a Tracker look.

Keep up the good work.
J.

thumperdh:
I found this old picture of an FT racer a while back that reminds me of the direction you're looking to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version