Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

Added A "PINTO" To The Stable Today...

(1/4) > >>

J6G1Z:
After missing out on a deal for a very clean looking black VT500FT a couple of months ago. I have been watching Craigslist & advertising that I was seeking a VT500 Ascot. I received a reply to my Ad last week & was finally able to meet with the seller today. Waiting for me to check out was a 1984 two tone VT500FT. The bike was one of the red Ascots that had somehow lost its original side panels & had black replacement panels. I suppose that makes it a Pinto doesn't it? Here are a few pics.

J6G1Z:
The bike is a typical Northwest bike that has been ridden & exposed to the elements. It has a bit of surface rust here & there & the color is faded a bit... but I think with some cleaning & a bit of elbow grease she might clean up well. Meanwhile I now have a bike that I can ride in the rain without worry.

Check out the custom exhaust that some previous owner had fabricated. The so called "Power Chamber" has been removed & the bike now has true dual exhaust. It even has what appears to be EGT (exhaust gas temperature) bungs on each head pipe. The exhaust sounds real good! It's a deep throaty type of sound vs. the raspier type of exhaust note that the MAC pipes have.

J6G1Z:
It was odd to take the bike for the first test ride. I haven't ridden a VT Ascot since about 1995 or so, but I felt like I was slipping on a favorite old pair of jeans. The bike just felt so natural & familiar to me.

As I was saying... She's no Cherry, but she does run real good & now I have the freedom to customize the bike however I like. The gauges need some attention. They still function, but the housing is broken. I may watch eBay for a while & see what pops up, or I might just replace the whole thing with a Trail Tech Vapor unit, or something similiar.

J6G1Z:
Well... There she is. My new (to me) Ascot. Now I have both an FT & a VT. Afterall... I couldn't really operate a forum on both bikes without having one of each, right? ;)

To the rest of you out there that are looking for an Ascot, I wish you good luck & happy hunting. Now that I brought one home, there will probably be several that pop up for sale this month. LOL!

J.

Hughlysses:
Nice Ascot, and very interesting homemade exhaust.  How's it sound?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version