First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Essentials for the FT500

<< < (3/5) > >>

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: Lefty on May 17, 2014, 05:53:37 pm ---I was looking at those shocks on Dennis Kirk- the springs are separate, not a big deal,  did you  buy both sets & install the springs yourself? 
--- End quote ---

I’m not familiar with the DK shocks.

I ended up ordering a pair of HAGON shocks for my FT hybrid bike. Hagon shocks come with a spring for your weight & are ready to bolt on.

Good luck
J.

EDIT: http://hagonshocksusa.com

zaqattack:
So as the summer rears around the bend I was out riding a few weeks ago and hit 10000 miles on my ascot. As soon as the odometer turned I started hearing an engine ping (sharp metal ring that went with the rpms). I knew it was inevitable that something was going to act up soon and already had the shop manual on the way, but now that it's here I have a few questions. 1) This essentials list includes tightening the balancer chain, how is this achieved? 2) The manual says to replace the chain anytime you replace a sprocket and to replace both sprockets at the same time, is this necessary? 3) Any ideas on the sound? cam tensioner or balancer?

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: zaqattack on June 21, 2014, 11:29:30 am ---So as the summer rears around the bend I was out riding a few weeks ago and hit 10000 miles on my ascot. As soon as the odometer turned I started hearing an engine ping (sharp metal ring that went with the rpms). I knew it was inevitable that something was going to act up soon and already had the shop manual on the way, but now that it's here I have a few questions. 1) This essentials list includes tightening the balancer chain, how is this achieved? 2) The manual says to replace the chain anytime you replace a sprocket and to replace both sprockets at the same time, is this necessary? 3) Any ideas on the sound? cam tensioner or balancer?
--- End quote ---

I'm afraid I can't help you with the cam balancer chain adjustment as I have not had to mess with that yet.

As far as your drive train sprockets & chain.... You are supposed to treat the chain & the two sprockets as a matching system. Replacing all three as needed. In reality, the Ascot runs an oversized (530 pitch) chain & usually they last a long time. I have a bike with about twice the mileage that you have & the original chain had not stretched beyond service limits. Check out the sprocket teeth carefully to see if they show any signs of being worn or "hooking". I've replaced the front countershaft sprocket to a larger size, without replacing the chain or rear sprocket. Make sure that the end of your battery vent tube is routed away from dumping on the chain.

If you do need to replace the chain and/or sprockets, you might want to consider modifying your drive train & converting to a 520 pitch, or series, chain & sprockets like what was run on the Honda XR/XL-500 bikes. The 520 chain is about an 1/8th" narrower than the 530 & saves a bunch of rotating weight (supposedly about 6lbs.). Run a 16 tooth countershaft either way & then decide if you want to adjust the gearing further with the size of the rear sprocket. On my FT Ascot hybrid bike, I went to a 520 chain with 16/39 gearing to provide a bit more top end speed.

Good luck & please feel free to start a new post describing your symptoms. You might receive more replies that way.
J.

scottly:
The cam chain is self-adjusting on the FT.
The "ping" sounds like, well, pinging, or pre-ignition? Is it worse under loads, or does it stop when the throttle is backed off?

zaqattack:

--- Quote from: scottly on June 21, 2014, 09:23:52 pm ---The cam chain is self-adjusting on the FT.
The "ping" sounds like, well, pinging, or pre-ignition? Is it worse under loads, or does it stop when the throttle is backed off?

--- End quote ---

It's not any worse under loads, it does soften when i back off the throttle. I haven't ridden it since.

Thanks J will do!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version